Portuguese/English Community Interpreting
Certificate of Achievement in Portuguese/English Community Interpreting
Credits required 27
Jose Costa, LusoCentro Director and Professor of Portuguese, ext. 2925
Program Goals Statement
This certificate prepares bilingual students to work as interpreters in a variety of community settings. Students develop specialized vocabulary and communication skills and learn the standards and practices of professional interpreters and translators.
- Interpreters are required to demonstrate written and oral fluency in both English and Portuguese.
- ENG 101 is a pre-requisite to HUM 156.
- Students with prior experience as interpreters should consult with the program director or PEL Coordinator to discuss Prior Experiential Learning (PEL) credits.
- Students with a bachelor’s degree can prepare to take the Office of Court Interpreter Services (OCIS) certification exam.
- The program follows Massachusetts Medical Interpreters Association (MMIA) guidelines.
|COM 160||Intercultural Communication||
|ENG 101||Composition I: College Writing||
|HUM 156||Fundamentals of Interpreting and Translating||
|POR 321||Portuguese for Interpreters||
|POR 322||The Portuguese Language in the World: An Introduction to the Lusofonia||
|POR 352||Written and Sight Translation for English and Portuguese||
|POR 353||Interpreting Portuguese/English||
|HUM 390||Fieldwork in Interpreting Portuguese/Spanish||
|Total Credit Hours:||24
Choose one of the following
|CRJ 101||Introduction to Criminal Justice||
|CRJ 113||Criminal Law||
|MAA 101||Medical Terminology||
|Total Credit Hours:||3
Recommended Course Sequence - Fall Semester 1
or CRJ 113
or MAA 101
and ENG 101
, HUM 156
, POR 321
Recommended Course Sequence - Spring Semester 2
, POR 352
, POR 353
, COM 160
Recommended Course Sequence - Fall Semester 3
Gainful Employment Program Disclosure
In accordance with Federal regulations published in the Federal Register on October 29, 2010, Bristol Community College discloses information about student costs, tuitions, fees and employment statistics to various governing bodies to ensure certification and oversight.
See: Gainful Employment Information