Academic Standing

Satisfactory academic progress

Effective July 1, 2011, the U. S. Department of Education revised rules related to Satisfactory Academic Progress (S.A.P.) to include both a qualitative component or Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) and a quantitative component or Student Completion Rate (S.C.R.). S.C.R. replaces what Bristol Community College previously called Satisfactory Progress Index (S.P.I.).

All matriculated students attending the College are expected to make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate. Students who do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress will be given one S.A.P. Warning per degree program. If they do not maintain the required Satisfactory Academic Progress, they will be dismissed from that program or certificate. Students who do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress cannot hold elected or appointed positions in any College activity and lose financial aid eligibility.

Change of program

If a student changes their program, then the Student Completion Rate will be recalculated with the change of program.


Students in degree programs get one and only one Warning if they fall below Satisfactory Academic Progress in a program. Students do not have to appeal a Warning; however, if in the next semester the student is still falling below the minimum S.A.P., they are recommended for dismissal.

Full-time students will have a maximum of four years to complete their degree requirements. The time frame for part-time students will be prorated.

Students will be required to attain a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 for graduation.

Dismissal appeals process

Dismissed students may appeal to the vice president of Academic Affairs within one (1) week of the date of their dismissal letter for a hearing to request reinstatement.

Dismissed students may appeal ONE TIME.

Their appeal must demonstrate:

  1. What went wrong.
  2. What they are doing differently for the next time, and why it won’t happen again.
  3. A written education plan – Signed off on by the College and the Student.


If the student completes the three items above, they may be reinstated ONE TIME. Failure beyond the one reinstatement means that they are no longer eligible for financial aid for that program of study.

Students who appeal must come before the Academic Standing Committee with a written statement explaining the reasons why they should be reinstated. Appeals are heard in September, January, and June. The Committee will review each student’s entire academic record and any documented special circumstances the student provides. The Committee will make its recommendations to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. If the Vice President does not receive a request for a hearing within one week of the date of the letter of dismissal, s/he will conclude that the student has accepted dismissal.

Dismissed students

Students who do not attend an appeal hearing or whose appeal is denied by the Academic Standing Committee may take classes only as nondegree students. Nondegree students are not eligible for financial aid. These students may apply for admission to a different College program. Students wishing to apply for readmission to the College must do so through the Admissions office.

Withdrawal Policy

Students withdrawing from any course must complete a course withdrawal form and forward it to the Enrollment Center. Students may also obtain forms in Advisement and Counseling Services. Students who plan to withdraw from all courses should arrange for an exit interview with a counselor. Those who want to withdraw from Clinical Laboratory Science, Complementary Health Care, Culinary Arts, Dental Hygiene, General Studies Prep/QUEST, Healthcare Information, Histology, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Phlebotomy, Pre-Radiology Technology, or Therapeutic Massage should talk with the program’s director. Failure to follow the withdrawal policy may result in failing grades, academic probation, or academic dismissal. Students who must withdraw for personal, medical, or financial reasons should meet with a counselor to complete the withdrawal process.

Continuous Enrollment Policy

Except for competitive admissions programs, matriculated and registered students in good standing will be allowed to retain their program of study throughout three consecutive semesters (including fall, spring, and summer semesters) with no academic progress. Subsequently, after the fourth semester, the students will be moved to a non-degree status unless they make academic progress by registering and completing at least one course with a grade of D- or higher. Students in competitive admissions programs Complementary Healthcare, Dental Hygiene, Clinical Laboratory Science, Culinary Arts, Healthcare Information, Histology, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Phlebotomy, Pre-Radiology Technology, and Therapeutic Massage students must reapply after a break in fall or spring semester attendance. Readmission to these programs will be subject to space availability and the specific readmission policies of individual programs.

International students are cautioned that USCIS (U.S. Customs and Immigration Services) policies regarding nonenrollment supersede College policies. For information about this policy, contact the Registrar.

Readmittance to the College

A student who has withdrawn and desires to reenter the College must reapply to the Admissions office. Readmittance to a program is not guaranteed.

Link to the main site.