Academic Standing

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP) includes both a qualitative component or Grade Point Average (GPA) and a quantitative component or Student Completion Rate (SCR). 

All matriculated students attending the College are expected to make satisfactory progress toward a degree or certificate.  Students who do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress will be given one SAP Warning per degree program.  There is no warning semester for certificate programs.

A student who does not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress will be dismissed from that program or certificate.  A student who does not maintain SAP cannot hold elected or appointed.

Grade Point Average

The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy requires that a student maintain a minimum GPA based on the total number of attempted credits.  

Total No. of Credits *Attempted:    **Dismissal if GPA Below:

           15 or less                                             ---

           16 - 30                                                  1.40

           31 - 45                                                  1.70

           46 +                                                     1.80

*Credits for which the student is registered at the completion of the add/drop period.

**No student will be dismissed as a result of poor first-semester academic progress except certificates.

Student Completion Rate

If a student changes their program, then the Student Completion Rate will be recalculated with the change of program.

Students must complete their academic program within 150% of normal time frame as measured by credit hours. This sets a credit attempt limit on each student. (NOT A TIME LIMIT). Students therefore have to maintain a “pace” or “completion rate” of about 67% success of attempted credits. Transfer credits are included in the student’s 150% credit frame.

Students in certificate programs must maintain the same standard for Student Completion Rate (successfully completing greater than 66% of the attempted credits). There is no warning for certificate programs. Certificate students who do not maintain an adequate S.C.R. will be dismissed from that program.

All students will have their Satisfactory Academic Progress (both G.P.A. and S.C.R.) reviewed all 3 semesters (fall, spring and summer).

Calculating your S.C.R.

For example, if a program requires 60 credits, students must complete the program within 90 attempted credits. Students who reach a point where it is mathematically impossible for them to complete their program in 90 credits will also lose their financial aid eligibility. For example, it becomes mathematically impossible for a student to complete a 60 credit program when they have NOT successfully completed 30 credits after 60 attempted credits.


Students in degree programs get one and Warning if they fall below Satisfactory Academic Progress in a program. Students do not have to appeal a Warning; however, if in the next semester the student is still falling below the minimum S.A.P., they are recommended for dismissal.

Full-time students will have a maximum of four years to complete their degree requirements. The time frame for part-time students will be prorated.

Students will be required to attain a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 for graduation.

Dismissal appeals process

Dismissed students may appeal to the Academic Standing Committee within one (1) week of the date of their dismissal letter for a hearing to request reinstatement.

Dismissed students may appeal ONE TIME.

Their appeal must demonstrate:

  1. What went wrong.
  2. What they are doing differently for the next time, and why it won’t happen again.
  3. A written education plan – Signed off on by the College and the Student.


If the student completes the three items above, they may be reinstated ONE TIME. Failure beyond the one reinstatement means that they are no longer eligible for financial aid for that program of study.

Students who appeal must provide the Academic Standing Committee with a written statement explaining the reasons why they should be reinstated. Appeals are heard in September, January, and June. The Committee will review each student’s entire academic record and any documented special circumstances the student provides.

If a hearing is not requested within one week of the date of dismissal, it is concluded that the student has accepted the dismissal standing. 

Dismissed students

Students who do not attend an appeal hearing or whose appeal is denied by the Academic Standing Committee may take classes only as nondegree students. Nondegree students are not eligible for financial aid. These students may apply for admission to a different College program. Students wishing to apply for readmission to the College must do so through the Admissions office.

Withdrawal Policy & Procedure

A student may withdraw from a course or the college at any time before the end of the tenth week of the traditional semester. Withdrawing from a credit course before or during the second week of the traditional semester will result in the course being drop/deleted from the academic record. After the second week a “W” grade will be assigned. Failure to withdraw by the tenth week of the traditional semester may result in an “F” grade, at the discretion of the instructor. Withdrawals may affect Satisfactory Academic Progress; see the Academic Standing policy for more information. For summer semester withdrawal dates please refer to the Academic Calendar.

Students withdrawing from one or all classes should notify the Enrollment Center. A student withdrawing from a class needs to submit a written request to the Enrollment Center. The request can be either the Course Change Form or a signed statement that includes the student name, ID number, and the course number. A student may also withdraw from classes online during the online registration period. A student withdrawing from all classes must complete a College Withdrawal Form and are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor. Those who wish to withdraw from Culinary Arts, General Studies Prep/Quest and selective health programs should speak with the program director. Withdrawal requests are not processed retroactively and only those withdrawals during a limited time period may result in a refund. See the college Refund Policy for more information.

Readmittance to the College

A student who has withdrawn and desires to reenter the College must reapply to the Admissions office. Readmittance to a program is not guaranteed.

Link to the main site.