Planning for Academic Success

Length of Program 

Full-time students with appropriate high school credits can complete the requirements for an associate degree in two years. However, some students may need to make up deficiencies in certain areas. Others change their concentration or major or withdraw from one or more courses. Students who work may take fewer courses per semester. Any of these reasons may make it necessary for a student to spend more than four semesters at BCC. Courses may be taken in the summer for students who wish to shorten their time at BCC.

Placement Tests

All students entering a degree or certificate program are required by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education to take assessment tests in order to ensure appropriate placement in classes. The tests assess students’ skill levels in reading, writing, and mathematics. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with academic background information, are used by College advisors to help students choose courses prior to registration. Should developmental work be necessary, you’ll receive help to select the courses you need.


Satisfactory performance on the English placement test or in ENG 090, Basic Writing Skills, is necessary to enroll in ENG 101, College Writing. Those students whose scores indicate that they need additional work in writing will be placed in ENG 090.


Students who perform below the required level on the reading skills test must successfully complete RDG 080, Fundamentals of Reading Development; and/or RDG 090, College Reading and Learning Strategies; before the end of their second semester.


Students who perform below the required level on the arithmetic test must successfully complete the Arithmetic Competency, MTH 011, Foundations of Mathematics. Students who score below the required level on the elementary algebra test must successfully complete the Introductory Algebra Competency,MTH 021 and/or the Intermediate Algebra Competency, MTH 031, depending on their math background and academic program.

-English as a Second Language

Students who enter the College through the English as a Second Language program must complete appropriate placement tests administered by the director of placement testing upon completion of the ESL program. Those who perform below the required level on the assessment tests will be required to complete ENG 090 and/or RDG 090 as appropriate.

Course Load

A full-time course load is 12 credit hours or more a semester. Students on academic probation can register for no more than 13 credits. A load of five courses (15 to 17 credit hours) is considered to be the normal load, although in some programs more credits may be required in some semesters to complete the program within two years. Honor students (3.2 or higher average) may register for six courses (18-20 credit hours). Requests for exceptions may be made in writing to the Academic Standing Committee.

Plan for at least two to three hours of study for each class hour.  A student carrying 15 credits, for example, should schedule 30 to 45 hours for study each week.

Final Examinations

Final examinations, including projects and other evaluation activities, are given during the week following the end of classes each semester. Final examinations can be made up only for compelling reasons, such as accidents or sickness, and with the permission of the instructor.

A physician’s certificate may be required if the reason is medical. A student who misses a final examination is responsible for contacting the instructor and arranging to take the exam during the scheduled make-up and conflict period or at another time. If the instructor is not available, the student should contact the appropriate divisional dean.

Registering for Courses

Students may register for classes at any time during the registration period. All students are to be registered in courses by the end of the first week of classes. No course changes will be permitted after that time, except with written approval of the faculty member concerned. Course change forms may be obtained in the Advisement Center or the Enrollment Center.

Directed Study

A directed study is an independent study or group study course, under the sponsorship of a faculty member, that meets the objectives of a regular course offering. If a required course or its equivalent is not available, directed study permits a matriculated student to enroll in a course needed to graduate or to complete a prerequisite for another required course. The Academic Affairs office may also approve other requests based on special student and/or programmatic needs.

A directed study course requires the approval of the instructor, the appropriate divisional dean, and the associate vice president of Academic Affairs. Credit for a directed study course is equivalent to credit for a regular course offering. Approval forms are available in the Enrollment Center. Students with approved directed study forms must register through the Enrollment Center. Tuition based on the number of credits approved will be charged at that time.

Dropping a Course

Students who need to adjust their schedules may do so during the registration period and through the first week of classes. After the first week of classes, students cannot add a class without instructor authorization. Students may drop any course through the second week of classes without penalty. After the second week of classes, any student who drops a class will receive a grade of “W” (see “Withdrawal Policy & Procedure”).

To receive a “W,” students must submit a course withdrawal form by or before the tenth week of classes.  Students should consult with the instructor or an advisor before withdrawing from a course.  

A grade of either “W” or “F” may be assigned at the discretion of the instructor to any student who withdraws from a course or from the College after the tenth week of classes. Course withdrawal forms are available in the Enrollment Center, the Advisement Center or the Attleboro and New Bedford campuses.  Withdrawal forms must be forwarded to the Enrollment Center.

Auditing a Course

A student may audit a single course for no credit with the consent of the instructor. A student may register for audit one week prior to the start of class through the Drop/Add period. No grade is given, but the notation of “L” is made on the permanent record.

A student may repeat a course for credit the next semester after auditing a course. An audited class is not eligible for financial aid. Students may change from audit status to a credit status with approval of the instructor/department chair/divisional dean. Students would be responsible for the difference in cost from the audit status to the credit status.

Repeating a Course

Students may repeat a passed course once with permission of the Registrar or designee. Students may repeat a course that was failed or withdrawn until they pass, provided they can complete their program in 150% of the credits required to graduate. (See Academic Standing). The grade received on the most recent attempt of any repeated course replaces the previous grade(s) for grade point average calculation and graduation requirements, even if the most recent grade is lower than a previous grade. Students may use the petition process to request previous repeat grades be used for grade point average calculation and graduation requirements, or to request repeating a passed course that was not successfully completed (e.g. prerequisite or transfer grade is not high enough). All repeated courses remain on the student transcript.  Students may repeat developmental courses as many times as it takes to pass or meet a prerequisite, but the total number of attempted developmental credits may not exceed 30.  Students who wish to repeat clinical courses must apply for readmission to the program.

Impact of Course Load on Financial Aid

Students with financial assistance administered by the College may have their funds reduced or recalled if they withdraw of an instructor withdraws them from a course. Before withdrawing from any course, you should discuss it with your instructor and your advisor. Students experiencing difficulty with course material should also consider assessing tutoring and other academic support services on campus. Financial Aid Counselors are available to review your award should you have any questions regarding the impact of your enrollment reduction. For more information, see "Financial Aid & Foundation Scholarships," visit our website at or call 508-678-2811, Ext. 2515 or visit the Financial Aid Office on your campus.

Planning for Transfer

In addition to your advisor, the Transfer Affairs Office provides transfer counseling to students who plan to continue their education at baccalaureate granting colleges, information, assistance with applications, and transcript reviews and consultations.  Students may also attend transfer workshops designed to address the steps in the transfer process.  For more information about transfer opportunities, visit our website at or call 508-678-2811, ext. 2234, or visit the Transfer Affairs Office on the Fall River Campus, Room G211.

Link to the main site.