Academic Standing

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP) includes both a qualitative component, or Grade Point Average (GPA) and a quantitative component, or Student Completion Rate (SCR).

All matriculated students attending the College are expected to make satisfactory progress toward a degree or certificate. Students who do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress will be given a warning. There is no warning semester for certificate programs.

A student who does not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress will be dismissed from that program or certificate. A student who does not maintain SAP cannot hold elected or appointed positions or receive financial aid. A student who has been dismissed is not eligible to earn a degree or certificate. 

Student progress is tracked through transcripts. Students can view unofficial transcripts and request official transcripts in accessBCC.

Grade Point Average

The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy requires that a student maintain a minimum GPA based on the total number of attempted credits. Students are required to attain a 2.0 GPA for graduation.

Total Credits Attempted*:

Dismissal if GPA is Below**:

15 or less


16 - 30


31 - 45


46 or more


*Credits for which the student is registered at the completion of the add/drop period
**No student will be dismissed as a result of poor first-semester academic progress, except certificate programs.

Student Completion Rate

The Satisfactory Academic Progress policy includes a Student Completion Rate that requires a student finish their academic program within 150% of the normal time frame as measured by credit hours. The SCR sets a credit attempt limit on each student, not a time limit. Students therefore have to maintain a pace or completion rate of about 67% success of their attempted credits. Transfer credits are included in the student's 150% credit attempts.

Students in certificate programs must maintain the same standard for SCR (successfully completing greater than 67% of the attempted credits). There is no warning period for certificate programs. Certificate students who do not maintain an adequate SCR will be dismissed from that program.

All students will have their Satisfactory Academic Progress (both GPA and SCR) reviewed every semester (fall, spring and summer). If a student changes his/her academic program, then the SCR will be recalculated with the change of program.

Calculating your SCR

If a program requires 60 credits, students must complete the program within 90 attempted credits. Students who reach a point where it is mathematically impossible for them to complete their program in 90 credits will be academically dismissed. For example, it becomes mathematically impossible for a student to complete a 60 credit program when they have NOT successfully completed 30 credits after 60 attempted credits.


Students in degree programs get a warning if they fall below SAP standards. Students do not have to appeal a warning; however, if in the next semester the student is still falling below the minimum SAP, they are recommended for dismissal.

Full-time students will have a maximum of three years to complete their degree requirements. The time frame for part-time students will be prorated.

Students will be required to attain a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 for graduation.

Dismissal & Reinstatement

Dismissed students may appeal ONE TIME.  Information on how to appeal will be included in the dismissal communication. Students should submit their appeal in a timely fashion to avoid disrupting the following semester. 

If the student completes the appeal process and the appeal has been approved, they may be reinstated to Probation status one time to that academic program. The student will remain in Probation status until the student meets Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Students who do not appeal or whose appeal is denied may take classes only as non-degree students. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. These students may apply for admission to a different College program. Students wishing to apply for readmission to the College must do so through the Admissions office.

A student who has withdrawn and desires to reenter the College must reapply to the Admissions office. Readmittance to a program is not guaranteed.


Link to the main site.